Combine the sweetness of watermelon with savory warm cheese, premium sardines, and the pop of fresh mint. Summertime is served!
- 1-2 cans King Oscar Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil with White Wine & Capers (reserve oil)
- 3 cups cubed or sliced seedless watermelon, rind removed
- 8 oz halloumi cheese, sliced
- Small bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted, chopped pistachios
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups lightly packed mint leaves, washed and dried
- 1/3 cup unsalted pistachios
- 1-2 cloves garlic (optional)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (more if necessary)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here's what you do...
- 1 To make the mint pesto, add all related ingredients except olive oil into a food processor or blender and blend until finely chopped. Stop blender periodically to scrape down sides.
- 2 Season with salt and pepper, then slowly stream in olive oil while processor is running until mixture is a loose paste. Add more olive oil for a looser consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 3 To prepare the salad, cube or slice watermelon and add to large bowl. Add sliced shallots.
- 4 Pour reserved sardine can oil over watermelon and shallots and gently toss together.
- 5 Cover and let sit until ready to assemble salad.
- 6 In non-stick skillet over medium heat, fry sliced halloumi in 1 tbsp of olive oil, about 1 minute each side until golden brown and heated through.
- 7 Plate halloumi and watermelon. Gently lay sardines over salad and scatter with fresh mint leaves. Drizzle with mint pesto and garnish with capers and chopped pistachios.