Mexican Rice Bowl with Mackerel
Spice it up and take your taste buds south of the border for a fresh and filling, mackerel and jalapeño peppers taste adventure!
- 2 cans King Oscar Mackerel Fillets with Jalapeño Peppers
- 1-2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1 can seasoned black beans
- Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- Fried corn tortilla strips (optional)
- Lime wedges
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can or 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tbsp lime juice (more to taste)
- 1-1/2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pico de Gallo
- 4-6 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO...
- Pico de gallo: Mix together all related ingredients in non-reactive bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In small saucepan, heat canned beans in their own liquid over low-medium heat. Set aside.
- In separate small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add rice and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add 2 cups water (or according to rice package directions), lime zest, and salt and bring to a rolling boil.
- Cover, lower heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork, pour in lime juice and chopped cilantro, and toss together.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat until it melts and starts to foam slightly.
- Add drained corn and sauté until corn is heated through.
- Remove from heat, add in remaining related ingredients, and mix together until evenly incorporated.
- Final assembly: Add rice to base of serving bowl. Fork apart and arrange mackerel fillet pieces on top of rice, then add prepared beans, corn, avocado, and pico de gallo. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeños, fried tortilla strips, and lime wedges.
ROYAL HINTS Use endive or romaine leaves in place of crackers for a low-carb option.
SHARE THIS RECIPE: