Gazpachos are cold tomato-based soups originating from the southern Spanish region of Andalusia. Our recipe is a snap, thanks to the Jalapeño Pepper Sardines. Best served cold, so chill in your refrigerator after whipping up this unique light soup.
2 cans King Oscar Sardines with Jalapeño Peppers
5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
2 sweet yellow bell peppers, seeded and diced
1 fresh jalapeño pepper
Jalapeño peppers reserved from cans
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1 avocado, peeled and diced
1/2 cup olive oil, including oil reserved from cans
5 cups tomato juice
Juice of 4 limes
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
Here's what you do...
- 1 Mix together tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers and garlic in a large bowl.
- 2 Pour in olive oil, tomato juice and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- 3 Purée half the soup in a food processor or blender, then stir back into the un-puréed half.
- 4 Season with cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5 Refrigerate until cold.
- 6 Just before serving, stir in the sardines and avocado.
- 7 Garnish with sardine and fresh jalapeño slice on skewer.